Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Using a relative pronoun 'who' for describing ideal types

I've wanted to know how to combine grammar teaching with communicative approach. I think that grammar should be embedded in meaningful, authentic and communicative contexts. I tried to come up with the effective ways to contextualize the targeted form 'who' in natural, authentic classroom activity. I devised grammar class about use of a relative pronoun 'who' for describing students' ideal men or women.

- I had a certain class for grammar instruction teaching 'who'.
- This class is devised right after the class to help students internalize this targeted form better through some activities.

First activity
-using the lyric of Korean song 'I need a girl' by Tae Yang
(lyrics or Music video might not be appropriate for teaching materials. We can use  older song '희망사항' instead.)
Lyrics of those two Korean songs are all about describing their ideal women.)

ex) I need a girl 뭘 해도 이쁜
   : I need a girl who looks pretty no matter what she does.
    치마보다 청바지가 잘 어울리는 그런 여자
   : I need a girl who looks better in jeans than a skirt.

Second activity (talking about ideal men or women)

-3-steps speaking

:First step : with your partner (tell him/her your own sentences starting with I like someone who.....)
:Second step : with one of group members (tell him/her your own sentences starting with I like someone who..... and what you heard from your partner starting with he/she<your partner likes someone who.....)
:Third step : with the other of group members (tell him/her about his/her sentences you heard from other member starting with you like someone who.....)

Your ideal man or woman
 
 
Describe your ideal man or woman using “who”
 
I like someone who 
 
I like someone who

 
Name
Ideal man/ woman
Your partner
Someone who
Someone who
group member 1
Someone who
Someone who
group member 2
Someone who
Someone who
 
I like someone who
 
She/He likes someone who
 
You like someone who 


No comments:

Post a Comment